Family Shelters, Homeless Outreach and Homeless Prevention Services
The following is a list of HAC’s programs for Cape Cod homeless individuals and families:
- Angel House shelter: Located on South Street in Hyannis, this is a shelter that is an addiction recovery program for women and their children. The program lasts nine to 12 months. The program serves 13 families at a time and several dozen people (adults and children) per year. We would welcome donations toward Angel House and, in addition, there are opportunities twice a month to serve a meal for the women and their children at the shelter. The shelter currently is in need of three new vinyl sofas, as well as twin beds. At Angel House, there is always a need for diapers and wipes, as well as portable cribs; and twin bed sheets and pillows.
- Carriage House shelter: This shelter in North Falmouth, serves 10 families consisting of homeless women and their children. We work with the women to help them find housing and employment as well as linking them with specialists in the area of healthcare. Similar needs to Angel House above. In May of this year, the Woods Hole Foundation awarded Carriage House a grant to purchase a new cabinets for a kitchen island at the shelter. This is the latest grant that HAC has received from the Woods Hole Foundation over the years. Learn more about the Foundation by visiting its website and following them on Facebook.
- Village at Cataumet shelter: This shelter in the town of Bourne is a former motel converted into 18 shelter units for families (parents and children). We work with the families to get them permanent housing and employment. Similar needs to Angel House above.
- Scattered Sites shelter: These are apartments HAC leases in Hyannis and Yarmouth that serve about 20 families with children. We work with them on case management and to find more permanent housing.
- Case management for individuals: In this program, we provide case management for individuals who have been homeless and are now in their own apartments. We provide assistance with employment, health and wellness, substance abuse prevention and any other case management that is needed. There are 55 individuals currently in this program.
- Homelessness Prevention for Individuals and Families: In this program, we work to prevent individuals and families from becoming homeless by helping them with payments for rentals or utilities that they need because of an emergency financial situation.
- Outreach Program: Through our outreach efforts, we have HAC staff who go into the woods and other locations on Cape Cod to find homeless people living in camps and try to get them to come in for services and to find housing for them. We wrote about this program in HACbeat last summer. You can read that story here.
- Housing Search Program: We are the premiere agency on Cape Cod to find housing for homeless individuals and families. We are putting even more resources into this program to help those who are homeless in the region.
- Affordable Housing Development: We are becoming even more active in converting former motels, buying up inexpensive homes and developing affordable housing on Cape Cod.
A complete list of volunteer opportunities at HAC can be found at this link, and includes everything from playing with children in our family shelters to folding newsletters. A complete list of donation needs can be found at this link. To donate to HAC's homeless programs click here.
You can also join us for HAC's Annual Shelter Telethon to raise funds and awareness for our shelter and homeless programs.
Families experiencing homelessness must be placed into shelter by the state via referral and application. For more information, reach out to Housing Assistance and speak to a representative about housing services at 508-771-5400.