Foreclosure Prevention & Counseling
“It seemed like we were digging a deeper and deeper hole, and our savings were dwindling. Now we can breathe again”
In 2008, HAC started a Foreclosure Education and Prevention Center, where our experienced staff members respond to the increased need for counseling services that can help homeowners at risk of foreclosure. As of today, HAC has helped over 3,000 households with foreclosure counseling.
HAC is the only HUD-approved housing counseling agency serving Cape Cod and the Islands. This is a free service through HAC. Beware of foreclosure rescue offers that charge you money! You qualify if your primary residence is on Cape Cod or the Islands. There are no income or mortgage limits.
What does HAC Foreclosure Counseling do?
- Explain your mortgage options and the foreclosure process
- Assist you in preparing mortgage-modification request paperwork
- Submit your mortgage modification paperwork
- Empower you to speak with your lender through this process
- Review with you the correspondence from your lender
- Provide you with debt-management counseling
- Counsel you on alternative housing options
When should I get counseling?
- If you are current with your mortgage, but are concerned that you won't be able to keep up
- If your mortgage payment is past due
- If your lender has sent you a letter demanding money by a certain date
- If an attorney has sent you a letter about your mortgage
- If you had little or no success trying to work things out with your lender
How do I get counseling?
HAC’s Housing Consumer Education Center is located at 460 West Main Street in Hyannis. Our services are available by walk-in, phone at 508-771-5400 or email email@example.com.
Loan Modification Scams
If you are worried about keeping your home, avoid anyone that:
- Asks for a fee in advance
- Guarantees that they will stop a foreclosure or modify a loan
- Tells you to stop paying your mortgage company and to pay them in stead
Loan modification scammers can take your money and your home if you are not cautious and well informed. Call HAC for more information.