HAC in the News Archives

Housing Assistance Corporation Employees Rescue Hyannis Woman

Posted on Wed, Jan 21, 2009

BARNSTABLE —

The efforts of two Housing Assistance Corporation employees saved a Hyannis woman from carbon monoxide poisoning.

In early December, energy program coordinator JoAnne Cournoyer received an alert from South Shore Community Action, which administers fuel assistance that an elderly woman in Hyannis was having trouble with her heating system.

Cournoyer sent Energy Analyst Marc Campbell to the woman’s home.

He noticed a strange odor and began checking carbon monoxide levels, which registered 300 ppm. The safe level is below 30 ppm.

Campbell immediately opened the windows and told the woman to leave the home. She told him the detectors had been going off recently, but she disconnected them because she thought they were faulty.

Campbell called the fire department, which turned off the heating system and secured the house. They told Campbell the CO levels were lethal and if he hadn’t arrived when he did, the woman would have died.

Within days of Campbell’s visit, HAC hired a contractor to get to the woman’s house and install a new system.