Cape Community Housing Partnership
A Community-based Initiative for Cape Cod
Cape Housing Institute & Advocacy Training
A Community-Based Initiative for Cape Cod
The Lack of Affordable Housing on Cape Cod is a Community Problem.
It Needs a Community Solution.
The Cape Housing Institute & Advocacy Training started in 2017 as a partnership between Housing Assistance Corporation (HAC) and Community Development Partnership (CDP) to help Cape Cod towns solve the affordable housing crisis by giving municipal officials, residents, business leaders and community leaders the tools to solve the economic crisis caused by a lack of affordable housing.
The Three-Part Strategy:
- Advocacy Training - Upcoming sessions in February and March 2019 (REGISTER BELOW)
- Cape Housing Institute
- Public Education
Register for 2019 Sessions
Free training for the public
In February and March 2019, HAC and CDP will be holding Cape Housing Advocacy Training sessions that are free and open to the public.
Advocacy Training gives people throughout Cape Cod the tools to support affordable housing that is needed in their communities so that the region's workforce and others can afford to live here.
Advocacy Training sessions will teach you:
- Basics of the Cape's Housing Crisis
- How Public Housing Decisions are Made
- Your Opportunities to Engage
- Common Arguments Against Housing (NIMBY: Not In My Backyard)
- Counter Arguments to Support Housing (YIMBY: Yes In My Backyard)
- How to Frame Your Message
- Speaking with Confidence
- Interactive Practice
- Ways You Can Help: Attend Public Meetings; Contact Public Officials; Write Letters to the Editor; and More!
CDP will be hosting the following sessions on the Outer and Lower Cape:
- Wellfleet Preservation Hall at 335 Main Street, Wellfleet — Saturday, February 2, 9 am-2 pm
- Harwich Community Center at 100 Oak Street, Harwich — Saturday, February 23, 9 am-2 pm
To register for Outer and Lower Cape sessions click this link.
HAC will be organizing the following sessions on the Upper Cape and the Mid-Cape:
- Yarmouth Council on Aging at 528 Forest Road, West Yarmouth — Saturday, March 2, 1-4 pm
- Mashpee Town Hall at 16 Great Neck Road North, Mashpee — Monday, March 4, 5:30-8:30 pm
- Barnstable Town Hall at 367 Main Street, Hyannis — Thursday, March 14, 5:30-8:30 pm
Please Note: There is a snow date of Saturday, March 23, 1-4 pm for any Upper or Mid-Cape sessions that have to be cancelled due to inclement weather. If necessary, that session will be held at HAC's office at 460 West Main Street, Hyannis.
Register for Advocacy Training by clicking the appropriate button below
Cape Housing Institute
Free Training for Elected & Appointed Municipal Leaders & Town Staff
Sign Up for Updates Below
The 2nd Annual Cape Housing Institution was held in the fall of 2018. This six-week course trained municipal officials throughout Cape Cod how to develop the affordable housing that is needed in their towns.
If you're an elected or appointed municipal official or town housing or planning staff, fill out the form below to sign up for updates on upcoming sessions of the Cape Housing Institute or to take part in Municipal Peer Group Sessions on both the Upper Cape and the Mid-Cape. By filling out information below, we will keep you updated on the dates, times, and locations for upcoming sessions related to the Cape Housing Institute.
The Cape Housing Institute is made possible by the following sponsors:
- Cape Cod Five Cents Savings Bank Charitable Foundation Trust
- Cape Cod Foundation
- Shepley Wood Products
- Sandwich Community Preservation Committee
HAC and CDP held the inaugural session of the Cape Housing Institute in the fall of 2017 with over 140 municipal officials in attendance.
Please Note: The form below is only to stay updated about the Cape Housing Institute. We anticipate the next sessions will not take place until the fall of 2019.
Sign Up for Updates on the Cape Housing Institute
CAPE COMMUNITY HOUSING PARTNERSHIP SPONSORS
The Cape Community Housing Partnership is made possible through the generosity of the following sponsors
For questions about the Community Housing Partnership, including the Cape Housing Institute and Advocacy Training, contact Shawna Moos at HAC at 508-771-5400 ext. 273 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Andrea Aldana at CDP at 508-240-7873, ext. 10 or email@example.com.